Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
Suggestions for getting rid of the spambots. - Started by: Cynicallia
Posted: 09 Jun 2020, 07:31 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 24 Sep 2023, 12:27 AM.

Posted: 10 Jun 2020, 08:13 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 10 Jun 2020, 08:15 PM.
Cynicallia:
1) There aren't many active members here. Allow every artist to have the power to block users, regardless of their account level.

2) Allow users to choose whether or not they want to allow comments from non-registered users. These bots don't seem to have real accounts. This would be a very effective way to slow them down.

3) Add a "Block comments from this IP" option under Account>Gallery>Manage Comments, and make it available to all artists, regardless of their account level. Yeah, I'm sure that VPNs are being used, but it'd be a nice start.

4) Add a censorship filter that catches keywords in comments, and set it to recognize the extremely common, repeated lines that the spambots use. If a commentor tries to post ten comments in a row that are spammy gibberish about Rolex watches and whatnot, AUTO-BAN that IP, and lock the "Submit Comment" button so that it cannot be posted. I mean, c'mon.. I couldn't even use the word "as sessed" in an image description because the first three letters triggered a censorship flag.

5) Please.

I'd love to see Side7 return to its former glory. Kill the spambots, tighten up security, and streamline the editing tools a wee bit. People would return. I'd even be happy to upgrade my account to a paid version, if I saw these changes.

Hey there. I'm working on a brand new version of the site, replacing all of the site code with more current, up-to-date, and secure code. All of the above requests are implemented in that version. I will be opening up closed beta testing soonish.

The current code is from 2009, and has been tightened up and made as secure as it can be. But, it's ancient code, and woefully inflexible. For the time being, comments have been disabled to help stem the flood of spam.

-- BK

Posted: 11 Jun 2020, 09:05 PM

Hey, BK. If we give you links to the individual pieces being attacked by spambots, could you just disable the comments on those? Or is that too much trouble at the moment?

Posted: 14 Jun 2020, 07:29 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 24 Sep 2023, 12:28 AM.

RE:
Posted: 18 Jun 2020, 01:49 PM

I see now what you mean when you "disabled the comments"--it pops up with message about being disabled due the bot attacks. That's really too bad, but I understand that you need to do it for now. We won't be bother by the spammers and that's great.

I can't wait to see the new update/upgrade site soon, I'm looking forward to it too! :)
Good luck BK!

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5