Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-9 of 9
December 2022 Challenge - Started by: BadKarma
December 2022 Challenge
Posted: 01 Dec 2022, 01:23 AM

This time of year is filled with many different holidays and traditions. These events often mean time spent with friends and family, religious observances, gift-giving, and hot chocolate (if you're in the northern hemisphere).

Your challenge is to depict what this time of year looks like and means to you. It can include original characters, actual persons, or just a setting. This challenge can be visual, literary, or audio in media. As usual, upload your artwork to your account, and link to it in this thread. You may submit more than one submission if you would like and have time for.

-- BK

RE: December 2022 Challenge
Posted: 11 Dec 2022, 06:36 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 11 Dec 2022, 08:20 PM.

I've been wondering what I should make because I wanted to participate in this challenge after missing out on last month's. I love the snow. I was born in January in Alaska, and, up until recent years, I've always lived in an area with a very good snowfall in the winter. I miss it, especially since it feels like it robs my nieces and nephews of a fun snowfall. So, I wrote this.
https://www.side7.com/content/zDMLZR65ry

Posted: 12 Dec 2022, 04:13 PM

Oh, what a neat approach to the challenge! I like the tanka. I'm of a similar mind: give me snow during the holidays. :D

Posted: 14 Dec 2022, 11:51 PM

Hey there, here my happy little image for challenge, I hope you all enjoy! :)

https://side7.com/content/6NrJzkmGrQ

Posted: 15 Dec 2022, 05:54 AM

Hey, Weasel! It's been a while. Love the artwork. It really covers the theme!

Posted: 15 Dec 2022, 01:58 PM

Hey Weasel! Great piece for the challenge! Really feels homey and warm.
-- BK

Posted: 15 Dec 2022, 03:31 PM

Thank you! I enjoyed making it. :)

Posted: 24 Dec 2022, 05:24 PM

This probably doesn't count since it's a rehost of a rehost of something published back in 2009, but every year since I joined "DRAW Your Own Story" back in '06 I'd do a Christmas special, and this endures as my all-time high-water mark (and the then-longest single comic I'd ever drawn).

In a story that typically devolved into personal sniping and nonsensical galactic wars, a tradition of proverbial Christmas truce evolved where we'd take a few days off to grab a cuppa. This particular comic evolved out of my pattern of cramming in as many active contributors as possible; previously done as splash panels, this was my first attempt at actually weaving a proper story out of it, marking a sea-change in how I approached subsequent specials.

Subsequent comics have varied in ambition, and some technically didn't get out until the New Year, but every time December rolls around, I start musing what I'm gonna do for the special. Even if I'd been aggressive enough in my mirroring to bring the gallery up to par for this year's, it wouldn't be nearly as holistic as '09.

Posted: 24 Dec 2022, 05:39 PM

Nicely done! Great parody of the Spongebob song, too.
-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-9 of 9