Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
June Challenge - NaNoMangO (Comic Artist Challenge) - Started by: snowhawk
June Challenge - NaNoMangO (Comic Artist Challenge)
Posted: 22 Mar 2023, 07:21 PM

I'm starting this thread early. Last year, I participated in Junicorn, and I loved seeing the others participating!

I am going to take a break from it this year, and dust off an older challenge, that will require more prep: NaNoMangO.

MangO is the artist version of NaNoWriMo, though with NaNoWriMo only officially happening in November, MangO has 2 official months: November and June.

The rules are simple, and forgiving: set yourself a goal for comic work, and make it. The original theme of the challenge was 30 sketched pages in 30 days, but over the years, this was modified to include variants like 15 inked, and 10 finished pages. More recent variants have been about world building (especially for the June challenge, as there was a World Building June challenge going around on Tumblr) and I modified it most recently when I was 5-8 sketched panels per day, for a vertically scrolling/Webtoon style comic (as this is what I usually did for my paged comic).

Anyone else interested? :3

Also, if you want to see some MangO history, check out https://nanomango.livejournal.com/

RE: June Challenge - NaNoMangO (Comic Artist Challenge)
Posted: 24 Mar 2023, 03:48 AM

Ooooh this sounds so fun, never heard of this before!
I've never been able to complete a month-long art challenge (rip to all of my spooky October art challenge attempts XD) or even a comic before, but I'd try to participate in this, even if I could only muster a few pages. Something is better than nothing. :3
Thanks for sharing this, I hope more people become interested! It'd be cool to see all the ideas illustrated for it.

Posted: 24 Mar 2023, 04:11 AM

I have never been good with output, but I would like to try participating as well. And since it's well before June, I can probably story and sketch a few in the coming months.

Posted: 24 Mar 2023, 09:34 AM

I'd love to see everyone's efforts! I'm planning on doing all my thumbnails between now and then, so I can do the sketches during June. :3 One of the best things about MangO is it's very flexible in what your goals can be! So if 10 sketches is what you get, then 10 sketches is your goal! :3

Posted: 24 Mar 2023, 04:42 PM

Can I finish a page in 30 days? Probably.

Will I have my gallery mirrored in time to submit new work here..?

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5