Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
What books are you currently reading? - Started by: bawdabaw
What books are you currently reading?
Posted: 16 Nov 2023, 07:23 PM

I love books. I love reading. If you like reading them too, come tell me about the books you're currently reading. Audiobooks count.

For me: Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

It's book 2 in the Chicagoland Vampires series and I read the first some years ago. Normally when I read books in a series, I kinda hate the first chapter or two being consumed with "remember all the stuff that happened last book" folded in as part of the narrative. Usually because I binge read books, scarfing them up like smarties. But this time because of the time gap between my last foray with these characters, I'm actually enjoying the recap of the first chapter. I keep saying, "oh yeah! That's right! Oh I remember that guy!" etc.

RE: What books are you currently reading?
Posted: 16 Nov 2023, 08:06 PM

The Arabian Nights translated by Sir Richard F. Burton.

Right now, I'm in the middle of "The Adventures of Mercury Ali of Cairo", nearly at the end of the book. It's a tough read; the language, not only being antiquated, also features a number of concepts that I've had to look up on occasion. It certainly is an interesting insight to what Arabic-language storytelling is like, and it seems like any non-Arab adaptations just don't have the same semblance to the original stories. For instance, Sinbad? He wasn't a sailor. He was a merchant and kind of a dolt who is lucky he didn't die on one of his seven voyages. And Disney did not do justice to Alladin; personally, I'd've loved to see Robin Williams' genie keep someone in the restroom all night. It would have certainly been a fun prompt for Williams. I feel that this has been an interesting look at Arab literature, but I think I'll also be glad when I'm done with this book. This thing is huge, and I did not realize that there were tales within tales. I can only imagine what this text looks like in Arabic.

Posted: 18 Nov 2023, 02:24 AM

Does the Bible and fanfiction stories count? Because I've no other books otherwise haha.

Posted: 18 Nov 2023, 10:37 PM

I haven't had time to read much lately, unless you count comics like InvestiGators, but I was recently discussing some old favorites with a friend, and reliving the memories. Bentley Little, Brian Jacques, and Robert Louis Stevenson were always high on my list of favorite authors. My boyfriend has been wanting to see Last Voyage of The Demeter so I dusted off my copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula in the hope of getting him to read it so he'll understand the film better, but I might just have another run with it, myself. Either that, or Thomas Harris' Hannibal.

Posted: 19 Nov 2023, 03:23 AM
WAHlelujah:
Does the Bible and fanfiction stories count? Because I've no other books otherwise haha.

Reading is reading. Whacha got?

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5