Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
Après moi, le déluge - Started by: Thorvald
Après moi, le déluge
Posted: 12 Nov 2022, 08:46 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 12 Nov 2022, 08:46 PM.

I've had my foot in the door for a little while, so I ought to introduce myself properly.

I joined DeviantArt back in 2012 on a whim, becoming entrenched one month later when ImageShack began its pivot to a paysite and I needed a file host for the couple hundred comics I'd made for a round-robin collaboration at CivFanatics. Originally intended strictly as an archive, it encouraged me to venture beyond a tight orbit around friends and colleagues into something approaching an artist at large. As dA's own management deteriorated over the following years, I kept my eyes peeled for a viable alternative host, but nothing I saw quite blended the professional curating tools with the open-air forum that had once made dA so iconic; I was on the front lines of Buzzly.art's collapse into the Internet equivalent of the Khmer Rouge, and InkBlot has unfortunately proven unsuitable for hosting a complete archive.

Side 7 was a lucky find courtesy of @EyeballEarth that goes to show that third's the charm: the UI is the slickest I've ever seen, and the way peer interaction is actively incentivized is absolutely ingenious—it's like @BadKarma watched every mistake made by other sites, and then did the exact opposite. :D In the short term, I'll be reuploading as much of my old gallery as I can before hitting the storage cap (with strategic breathers so I'm not completely swamping the front page :^) ); in the longer term, the multi-pronged assault of incompetent leadership online and IRL has galvanized a righteous anger with few release valves and a drive to see e-art done 'right': I don't have professional managerial experience, but I'll offer pro bono advice when and were I can.

RE: Après moi, le déluge
Posted: 12 Nov 2022, 09:00 PM

Late as it is, welcome to Side 7. Your art and photography looks quite interesting. I can't wait to see the rest. How many works do you have to upload?

Posted: 12 Nov 2022, 09:11 PM

Well, by dA's official count, 640. This does not include the 317 items in Scraps, plus a number of op-eds submitted as Journals.

Subtract what's here now and that's 936+.

I didn't even put the comic pages to InkBlot and that rehost took about a month. :^D

Posted: 13 Nov 2022, 03:37 AM

Goodness, that's a lot of artwork!

Posted: 13 Nov 2022, 03:39 PM

Well, "artwork". :P

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5