Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10
MySpace.com ~ your opinion - Started by: Knibitz
MySpace.com ~ your opinion
Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 04:52 PM

MySpace in my opinion, is slowly taking over the world and is eventually going to turn the world into non-social people who never leave their computers, and don't have any friends that arn't on myspace.
I've been asked, even begged, by people numerous times to join the site, but I'd rather not revolve my frienships around a stupid website.

Does anyone else think the same way I do?

what do you think of it?

Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 05:23 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 28 Sep 2006, 05:24 PM.

I don't think so, personally. I use MySpace to keep in touch with my friends, because I no longer live in the state with them. I generally have no other way to keep up with them besides the random messages through MySpace.

Of course, there are some people who add people they don't know on their friends list, just to have some big number to brag about. That's idiotic.

The simple solution is to, of course, only add people whom you ALREADY know, either through the net (like on forums), or know in real life. Everyone on my list is already my friend (and not all of my friends are on MySpace), and I'm already anti-social, but I leave the computer for lengths of time. I don't think it's MySpace's doing, creating this horrible destiny you described. There would be other factors in it, not just a single website.

Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 05:23 PM

Well, personally I think it's a good thing other than the site is so corporate now that the attacking ads will kill you when you click a link. I'm a tad paranoid of social activity in real life, because well.. that's just the way my personality is.

The internet is never going to be people's only social activity - Unless everyone starts working at home, never going to school, living alone, not going to the store, ect. ect.

I don't mind involving my friendships around a stupid website, because it's simply entertainment. You can learn things about people you generally might not think to ask about. (Every MySpace survery ever made.. rofl)

This is along the same lines as pretty much everything people try to dub as 'bad' - Too much of anything can be bad for you. Doesn't matter what it is.

Tabz

Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 06:01 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 28 Sep 2006, 06:05 PM.

I stay as far away from MySpace as possible. Aside from the poorly designed user pages, and the fact that most MySpace users can't design a decently layout or understand that having 20 video clips autoplay at the same time is both a bandwidth hog and annoying, it's also just not a safe site.

I say that because MySpace gets harvested for any and all personalised information that can be gleaned about you by spammers and phishers. This is done in an attempt to make their e-mails and such more personal and harder to detect as illegitimate. I can back that information up because, in my line of work, I've had to deal with that a several occasions.

Add to that that MySpace is really nothing but a giant popularity contest and is full of angst, I've just got no interest whatsoever in sites like MySpace and its ilk (Facebook, Friendster, etc.).

-- BK

Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 08:14 PM

I have to say I agree to the first post here.
I dont find any kind of attraction to the site or services. You see attention wh#res on youtube aswell and well it's gone serious with people just craving attention.

I personally wont get involved in such yet atleast.

Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 09:39 PM

I'm not against Myspace. I (haha) don't think it's taking over the world ~_^ it's just a trend, and trends wax and wayne.
Of course, that's not to say that I like it. Personally, I hate the obnoxious user page layouts and the overall feeling of scrambling to be the most popular a lot of people seem to get after being there a while (why would you WANT someone to rate a photograph of you? Let alone someone you've never met in person).
I also don't think that minors should be allowed to post there (or at least people under the age of 16 or so). A large part of it is unofficially functioning as a hookup site, which is dangerous for anyone (not minors in particular). However, I think that it is the ethical (and certainly legal) responsibility for the web admins to recognize that, and to do more to keep minors out of that scene. Not as a patronizing "you're too young to understand what's good for you" type thing, but just because it's the right thing to do :P. Anything else seems like a liability.
On the other hand, it is mostly just a good way for friends to keep in touch :). I don't like it, but I wouldn't protest it or anything xD. I prefer sites where I don't feel constantly encroached upon by strangers (and where I don't get SPAM rolls eyes) like Livejournal.

Posted: 28 Sep 2006, 10:18 PM

I joined LiveJournal a few years ago to keep track of friends, and use AIM and other instant messengers to do the same. I've never really visited MySpace, so I don't really know exactly what it's about. From what little I've heard and seen, though, it does strike me as overwhelmingly angsty, so I have no inclination to find out more about it.

The internet will never replace real life contact. People have been concerned about that for years, and unnecessarily so. As a whole, humans are social creatures, we need real people interaction. In fact, more people are meeting and getting together over the internet than ever before - myself including, though no website had anything to do with that, just an obscure graphical chat room.

Posted: 29 Sep 2006, 08:11 AM

I've never used myspace (never seen it either) but I haven't heard good words about it. A friend invited me to join but I refused because of the bad things I heard

Posted: 29 Sep 2006, 10:23 PM

I am mixed/indifferent toward MySpace. I do agree that it can be a stupid, angsty popularity contest riddled with bad, eye-straining layouts and such. But still, I use it... basically, my friends are co-workers, real life friends, a few LJ friends, and bands. (It's a nice way to keep up with bands I like, since I don't usually have time to visit everybody's website/forum)

So yeah... I have a MySpace page, but it doesn't consume my life. shrug

Actually, I like Facebook much better. It's cleaner-looking and not so stupid. :)

Posted: 02 Oct 2006, 06:13 AM

A few months ago, I hadn't even HEARD of MySpace! XD Nor do I care about it, either. It doesn't really affect me and you'll never catch me wasting any time on it. :p

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10