Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-11 of 11
hi - Started by: krizste
hi
Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 09:00 AM

hiya, I'm (rather) new. And trying out many a thing. (my carrd is so full with links to almost empty profiles). im mainly a tumblra/deviant due to preferring archival/gallery websites and non-professional vibe.

few thingos- my art stash is chonky thick, the clear [1gb] storage shown on profile is deterring me from uploading much or at all, as I don't like having to pick and choose between stuff. I know it can be upgraded.. to 5gb? I don't think that's enough either/ the cieling being there just scares me by simply existing.
I don't exactly have much in terms of bucks either and I can't do much interacting/participating, so I don't think I'd earn anything from that to upgrade it anyway.

are journels for artist status stuff specifically or do people also write fic's in them? Where do fic's go?

the character thing looks cool, though I haven't used it yet. is it limited to OCS or can include characters from media? also, is there a limit?

ive noticed in the art uploads thing that there's no 'use original image' selection(?). are all art images on here left as the original without any resizing or compression?

cheers,

RE: hi
Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 10:54 AM
krizste:
hiya, I'm (rather) new. And trying out many a thing. (my carrd is so full with links to almost empty profiles). im mainly a tumblra/deviant due to preferring archival/gallery websites and non-professional vibe.

Welcome to the site! I hope we fit the bill for you!

Quote:
few thingos- my art stash is chonky thick, the clear [1gb] storage shown on profile is deterring me from uploading much or at all, as I don't like having to pick and choose between stuff. I know it can be upgraded.. to 5gb? I don't think that's enough either/ the cieling being there just scares me by simply existing.
I don't exactly have much in terms of bucks either and I can't do much interacting/participating, so I don't think I'd earn anything from that to upgrade it anyway.

The current values were chosen because of how much the average user posts on this site. We have a few people who have exceptionally large collections they'd like to share, and I'm working on adding a third tier of space that is unlimited. What do you mean about not being able to do much interacting/participating? Is that because of a lack of time?

Quote:
are journels for artist status stuff specifically or do people also write fic's in them? Where do fic's go?

You can use your journals for anything you'd like, as long as it stays within the site's rules. Otherwise, if you have fics you'd like to share, they can go in the literature uploads (the content upload page has three tabs, one for image, one for audio, and one for literature).

Quote:
the character thing looks cool, though I haven't used it yet. is it limited to OCS or can include characters from media? also, is there a limit?

There is no limit on the number of characters. It's intended for sharing your OCs. It's also getting an upgrade soon to give each character slot more information you can share.

Quote:
ive noticed in the art uploads thing that there's no 'use original image' selection(?). are all art images on here left as the original without any resizing or compression?

Any image you upload is left as the original without resizing or compression, yes.

Quote:
cheers,

Cheers!
-- BK

Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 11:46 AM
Quote:
The current values were chosen because of how much the average user posts on this site. We have a few people who have exceptionally large collections they'd like to share, and I'm working on adding a third tier of space that is unlimited. What do you mean about not being able to do much interacting/participating? Is that because of a lack of time?

lack of time yes and no. i have all the time in the world, having no life, but im too busy breaking down to use it -also human interaction tires me out hard. -also i generally just cant participate in things, and if i do, i fail at it (do not finish/ do not start). eg. artfight comes around every year and i hype myself for it but shit happens and i cant do anything, or shit doesnt happen and i dont do anything anyway. heck i havnt finished this years mermay yet. -or last years...
i could just... toss stuff in there and hope for.. something happening along the way i guess, but the cap does spook me way too much.

Quote:
You can use your journals for anything you'd like, as long as it stays within the site's rules. Otherwise, if you have fics you'd like to share, they can go in the literature uploads (the content upload page has three tabs, one for image, one for audio, and one for literature).

ah cool.

Quote:
There is no limit on the number of characters. It's intended for sharing your OCs. It's also getting an upgrade soon to give each character slot more information you can share.

ah i see so unlimited mini things thats cool. upgrades cool too.
yeah i got the intention. though im more wondering about being allowed to have Media... or... Media based/originating characters in there. as profiling ones own lore of.. fandom/community derivative characters would make a very very good reference- if that makes sense.
eg: people are likely to be familiar with the Player Character Pokemon Trainer Red, and even if they aren't, they can just wiki him up. Same with Pokemon Special Red, etc. -But its a different case When we are talking about ones own specific flavour of Red, originating from a community controlled letsplay in 2014, or a specific version of Red from the same community letsplay...series(?) from a different run in 2020, or a specific flavour of Red originating from a CreepyPasta, or another that is a compound form of various Reds that appear in different CreepyPastas. not to mention all the Reds that are named something other than Red, yet clearly are Red as a base.. these are all very different characters, with no defined Official lore and very personal interpretations. basically OCs that arent.

-So yeah would that sort of thing be allowed?

Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 01:27 PM
krizste:
i could just... toss stuff in there and hope for.. something happening along the way i guess, but the cap does spook me way too much.

Understandable. My apologies that it makes you uncomfortable. :(

Quote:
-So yeah would that sort of thing be allowed?

Yep! That would be fine.
-- BK

Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 05:48 PM

Welcome to Side 7! As someone who's clawing through a monster archive himself, I can offer a couple pointers re. storage cap:

Simply uploading a work earns 5 Credits, to a cap of five submissions per day (server clock updates at 12 AM GMT), so that's 25 credits per day. Storage upgrade costs 2500, so that's 500 uploads, well within your existing archive on dA. 100 days of consistent uploads will earn you enough Credits for 5GB without needing to do anything else.

For file size itself, S7 supports WebP since March, which at lossless quality can be more efficient than PNG, and smaller than JPEG if lossy. Most of my dA files were PNG, and rehosting as WebP typically shaves off one third to a half of the file size, depending on complexity of the colour scheme.

Posted: 12 Aug 2023, 04:42 AM

Welcome to Side 7! I wouldn't worry too much. Just start posting, and we'll see where you go from there. How much do you have?

Posted: 12 Aug 2023, 12:17 PM
Thorvald:
Simply *uploading* a work earns 5 Credits, to a cap of five submissions per day

i see.

Thorvald:
For file size itself, S7 supports [WebP](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP) since March

im not particularly keen on adopting webp. lots of my stuff are very light monochrome/limited value pngs anyway. theres just... tons of it. eg- one of my folders is 2.63gb/2360files.

fragmented_imagination:
How much do you have?

i have.. way too much.

- - wait some more q's is there a a single person's... gallery.. internal.. search? im very reliant on it for da/tumblr due to sheer mass of stuff and not remembering if i posted a thing.

-some da upload mechanics i enjoy include auto filling the submission title with the uploaded file name (ofc limited in some ways and annoying in others). the ability to choose what folder the art goes in, and the ability to remember submission settings. not saying Be DA, but these are pretty useful and make uploading stuff and sorting it much easier. (or you have em and i missed em) gallery management here is rather clunky to me.

Posted: 12 Aug 2023, 02:31 PM
krizste:
im not particularly keen on adopting webp. lots of my stuff are very light monochrome/limited value pngs anyway. theres just... tons of it. eg- one of my folders is 2.63gb/2360files.

If anything, WebP sounds like an asset: my best optimizations have been line sketches. The original PNG of this piece was 744KB; resaved as WebP it dropped down to 284, nearly two thirds smaller. I can testify to the tedium of hand conversion, but I expect you could cut the weight of your gallery in half without losing quality.

Quote:
is there a a single person's... gallery.. internal.. search?

Unfortunately no. General keyword search is fairly robust but there's currently no means to screen by individual user.

Posted: 15 Aug 2023, 05:14 PM
Thorvald:
Unfortunately no. General keyword search is fairly robust but there's currently no means to screen by individual user.

On the list for an upcoming update.
-- BK

Posted: 16 Aug 2023, 03:55 AM
Thorvald:
If anything, WebP sounds like an asset: my best optimizations have been line sketches. The original PNG of [this piece](https://www.side7.com/content/lpMjQKAo94) was 744KB; resaved as WebP it dropped down to 284, nearly two thirds smaller. I can testify to the tedium of hand conversion, but I expect you could cut the weight of your gallery in half without losing qualilty.

I'm not denying the squishyness of it. It's more... Principles? And .. effort? A PNG is more universal and accessible. As an archiver, I value that. And the extra steps with converting and more file copy management offset the squish, honestly...

So far in terms of searching, I make do of opening the gallery in list format(?) That show the names and ctrl-f the page. Hhh

Posted: 10 Feb 2024, 07:51 AM

sorry about bugging about the reds thing. (mayb someone else would find that information useful?)

i barely have the energy to manage the tpp stuff on da/tumblr (heck, i can baley manage sorting my computer folders) so heres place is limited to oc doodles for the most part.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-11 of 11