Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-12 of 12
Tutorials Section Feature - Started by: BadKarma
Tutorials Section Feature
Posted: 17 Oct 2023, 01:09 AM

I'm tossing around the idea of creating a Tutorials section of the site. I envision this as being a categorized area where members of the site can compose and submit tutorials for others to use. Know of a great technique for shading a drawing? Share that technique in a tutorial. Have tips on writing a great ending to a story? Put together a tutorial and let others know.

The tutorial section would be categorized for easy navigation, as well as searchable. Both text and images would be postable for each step of the tutorial. Tutorials would also be updatable and manageable by their authors.

Thoughts? Input? Ideas? Let me know what you think. Is this a feature worth putting in the time and effort?

Thanks!
-- BK

RE: Tutorials Section Feature
Posted: 18 Oct 2023, 03:00 AM

I am certain a few of us wouldn't mind trying to write a tutorial or two, but it feels a little intimidating. After all, you're trying to put a process many have internalized into step-by-step instructions, and there is always the fear that another trying the tutorial method may not enjoy the process. Has anyone come forward to say they plan on writing a tutorial?

Posted: 18 Oct 2023, 12:09 PM
fragmented_imagination:
I am certain a few of us wouldn't mind trying to write a tutorial or two, but it feels a little intimidating. After all, you're trying to put a process many have internalized into step-by-step instructions, and there is always the fear that another trying the tutorial method may not enjoy the process. Has anyone come forward to say they plan on writing a tutorial?

It's been an idea that has been suggested many times over the years. Figured I would test the waters to see what response there was. Doesn't seem that big of a response, so...
-- BK

Posted: 18 Oct 2023, 06:19 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 18 Oct 2023, 06:20 PM.

Hm. I'm a little surprised. Was this supposed to be a community collection, or were users going to have their own tutorial sections on their profile?

Then again, considering we have groups now, perhaps this sort of thing should be delegated to a group.

Posted: 18 Oct 2023, 07:28 PM

It was intended as a community collection, not on each person's profile. That way it is easier to navigate and search.
-- BK

Posted: 18 Oct 2023, 07:44 PM

Might be a neat idea 🤔being able to easily search for tutorials is an absolute dream in my opinion lmao. Currently, I turn to places like Pinterest for tutorials... their algorithm usually helps to find things "similar' to what I might be searching for. Either way it's easier than finding tutorials on traditional art sites is almost always an impossible task. But they also don't have a dedicated space for it!

Might also be neat to have some type of 'incentive' to submit tutorials to get it started. Like credits or something?

Might also be a good place to house bases if folks are interested in that? Idk I'm just spitballing now lol

Posted: 18 Oct 2023, 07:57 PM
TeaLeo:
Might be a neat idea 🤔being able to easily search for tutorials is an absolute dream in my opinion lmao. Currently, I turn to places like Pinterest for tutorials... their algorithm usually helps to find things "similar' to what I might be searching for. Either way it's easier than finding tutorials on traditional art sites is almost always an impossible task. But they also don't have a dedicated space for it!

Yeah, that was my thought. A searchable, sorted catalog of tutorials.

Quote:
Might also be neat to have some type of 'incentive' to submit tutorials to get it started. Like credits or something?

Yeah, credits for submitting tutorials was definitely in the plan.

Quote:
Might also be a good place to house bases if folks are interested in that? Idk I'm just spitballing now lol

Ooh, there's an idea. I like it.

-- BK

Posted: 27 Oct 2023, 08:24 AM

If this feature does get implemented, I could probably share a revamp of that old icicle tutorial I did years ago. ^^

Posted: 27 Oct 2023, 10:05 PM

I'm really leaning towards making it. If I do, I hope it'll get a lot of use.
-- BK

Posted: 30 Oct 2023, 04:55 AM

Hey, I’m a bit late, but I was chatting with a pal about this earlier. I’d love this to be a feature

Posted: 03 Nov 2023, 04:23 PM

It is a very good idea yeah. I was kind of planning to make some tutorials in future as well.

Posted: 11 Nov 2023, 08:31 PM

I don't know if I could contribute anything myself (except maybe this), but I support the idea on reflex. :p One consideration is integrating a dedicated Tutorials section with the general gallery, ie. anything submitted to a "Tutorials" category would automatically be added to the index.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-12 of 12