Page 2 of 2 :: Viewing 26-40 of 40
Your Feedback Is Needed (2 topics) - Started by: BadKarma
RE: Your Feedback Is Needed (2 topics)
Posted: 28 Dec 2023, 04:34 AM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 28 Dec 2023, 04:40 AM.

Maybe having swears be censored by default but something you can manually turn off in settings might be one potential solution? It's something I've seen some online games do.

I don't think it should be a "requirement" to censor profanity provided it's not in an explicit context when most of the internet is 13+ by default, but it's ultimately the site admin's choice on what they want to do and I'll try to respect whatever the current guidelines are. Age gating journals and potentially forum threads should be an option though imo.

Posted: 28 Dec 2023, 04:43 AM
Rinnarrae:
Maybe having swears be censored by default but something you can manually turn off in settings might be one potential solution? It's something I've seen some online games do.

I don't think it should be a "requirement" to censor profanity provided it's not in an explicit context when most of the internet is 13+ by default, but it's ultimately the site admin's choice on what they want to do and I'll try to respect whatever the current guidelines are. Age gating journals and potentially forum threads should be an option though imo.

That's a clever concept.

Posted: 28 Dec 2023, 10:27 PM
Rinnarrae:
Age gating journals and potentially forum threads should be an option though imo.

I don't know about individual threads, but when @Dionysus was originally scouting us out he had a comprehensive list of questions about content rules and decorum, and @BadKarma suggested a dedicated adults-only board could be added down the line.

Posted: 28 Dec 2023, 11:47 PM
Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:
Ok, I'm kind of a dumbass and not someone you want to get an opinion of, but lemme try to be productive this once.

I have a question regarding the swearing, where will slang and abbreviated cuss words would fit in? I'm talking about examples like "af", "ffs", "shiet" and "fugg"?

Or perhaps a secret language should be constructed.

One of made up nonsense words.

Bajullyjully and so on.

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 12:01 AM
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:

Bajullyjully and so on.

"🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬"

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 12:05 AM
Camazotz:
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:

Bajullyjully and so on.

"🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬"

Yeh but yas gotty tell me it's meaning privately.

So the Golars don't know what we talky bout.

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 02:16 AM
Rinnarrae:

Yeah, that was one of the ideas I was considering.

Quote:

I don't necessarily want to have a rule or requirement about it. This is why I'm addressing the membership about this topic.

Certainly having an 18+ switch on journal entries is an option. Age-gating individual forum threads seems tedious for both the UI and the UX sides. As @Thorvald said, I'm floating the idea of having an 18+ area of the forums where there isn't too much care about language choice.

-- BK

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 02:22 AM
Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:
Ok, I'm kind of a dumbass and not someone you want to get an opinion of, but lemme try to be productive this once.

I have a question regarding the swearing, where will slang and abbreviated cuss words would fit in? I'm talking about examples like "af", "ffs", "shiet" and "fugg"?

Honestly, and this may seem counter-intuitive, but personally I'm okay with those kinds of abbreviations. I see them used in the public a lot. The slang, too, could get by if not overly used. The hard part with the slang from an administrative point of view, however, it's a fuzzy line between it and the profanity. If that makes sense.

-- BK

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 04:50 AM

A filter that ""s out swears and an 18+ subforums sound like the best options so far.

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 04:59 AM
ratacombs:
A filter that "****"s out swears and an 18+ subforums sound like the best options so far.

Would it filter out words like putput or goliks?

Posted: 29 Dec 2023, 08:31 PM
Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:
BadKarma:
Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:

Honestly, and this may seem counter-intuitive, but personally I'm okay with those kinds of abbreviations. I see them used in the public a lot. The slang, too, could get by if not overly used. The hard part with the slang from an administrative point of view, however, it's a fuzzy line between it and the profanity. If that makes sense.

-- BK

Thanks

The-Wizard-of-Zaar:

Bajullyjully and so on.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TL2W1scbo](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TL2W1scbo)

You believe we should converse as the rabbits do?

Posted: 30 Dec 2023, 03:28 AM

i didn't know this thread existed until i was roaming around the site and i saw needed feedback on this specific thing 😦 i had a situation yesterday regarding this because i wanted to use the journal to write about something important to me that was super monumental but it was triggering due to it being a sensitive topic and i didn't want it to be blasted on the front page in the recent journal entries area.

i like the idea of having dedicated content warnings like one mentioned for language or sensitive topics. i agree with other users that a rating system like for uploads could be made to apply to journal entries too. i dont mind profanity nor curses but i see the value in holding up decorum, therefore i agree with users on a possible setting in which a user sets profane language getting "###'ed" out on their end while others who do not have the setting enabled can see profanity.

i also think if possible, a toggle for journals to not appear/ appear on the front page would be greatly appreciated (at least for me) because i am not sure if i want personal and/or potentially sensitive journal entries to be easily accessible in the front page. but if some users do want to post their content in the front page, that is up to them. but i also know its okay if this cant be considered because its also up to the user to decide if their content is appropriate for the general audiences or not, if its appropriate then maybe there shouldn't be worries on whether or not it appears on the recent journals 😸 but i think for the most part, what is holding me back from posting anything with journals is the lack of content warnings or ratings similar to uploads.

Posted: 30 Dec 2023, 07:32 PM
disease:
i had a situation yesterday regarding this because i wanted to use the journal to write about something important to me that was super monumental but it was triggering due to it being a sensitive topic and i didn't want it to be blasted on the front page in the recent journal entries area.
i also think if possible, a toggle for journals to not appear/ appear on the front page would be greatly appreciated

Something similar to DeviantArt's 'Featured' toggle might be useful here: Under the old category tree, this determined whether journals got plugged on the main feed. After Eclipse merged journals and status updates together under 'Posts', 'Featured' status instead lists journals in an "at-a-glance" column in a degraded imitation of the old paginated index, providing a means of highlighting "important" entries over tag-memes &c.

Posted: 30 Dec 2023, 09:00 PM

Good idea on the front page toggle.

-- BK

Posted: 31 Dec 2023, 01:34 AM

I've been reading this forum topic for little while now, and it a little heavy one to weigh on.

@Rinnarrae:

@disease
i like the idea of having dedicated content warnings like one mentioned for language or sensitive topics. i agree with other users that a rating system like for uploads could be made to apply to journal entries too. i dont mind profanity nor curses but i see the value in holding up decorum, therefore i agree with users on a possible setting in which a user sets profane language getting "###'ed" out on their end while others who do not have the setting enabled can see profanity.

i also think if possible, a toggle for journals to not appear/ appear on the front page would be greatly appreciated (at least for me) because i am not sure if i want personal and/or potentially sensitive journal entries to be easily accessible in the front page. but if some users do want to post their content in the front page, that is up to them. but i also know its okay if this cant be considered because its also up to the user to decide if their content is appropriate for the general audiences or not, if its appropriate then maybe there shouldn't be worries on whether or not it appears on the recent journals 😸 but i think for the most part, what is holding me back from posting anything with journals is the lack of content warnings or ratings similar to uploads.

I agree Rinnarrae and disease

Went to the settings and tried out the filter on the ratings that I personally don't care to see, and that seems to work really well. Not point out my business, but it kind of gave an rough idea.

Maybe having a pre-set filter with some of the bad words set in, but the personal account user can added to it to their own taste. Plus the filter could block the bad words in real time, maybe bad words still there but blurred out somehow.

I think the rating on journaling might be a good idea, and like the filtering the rated images--do the same for the journals. (If this happens).

Personally, I don't care for cussing. When one cusses, while it doesn't actually hurt anyone per say. It does stand out like a sore thumb, and sometimes one can lose the point in what one was trying to actually say. I'm for free speech, but I wish one would be more kind to what they say, but we can't control everyone. :(

Times have changed, some for the good, and some now not so much. That's my idea and opinion. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 :: Viewing 26-40 of 40