Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-12 of 12
official canons that bad enough to make you pretend it never happens - Started by: Masonicon
official canons that bad enough to make you pretend it never happens
Posted: 19 Feb 2024, 01:30 AM

I made a thread about Fanon Discontinuity in this site's forum, which's Official Canons(of any fictional universe) you pretend to never happens likely from their sheer scrappiness?

I start with mine: Pokemon anime('Rivalry Revival' was the last Pokemon anime episode that follows official canon personally, as I make Tracey accompany Ash and company to Johto(and later regions) instead of becoming Professor Oak's assistant, as Tracey becoming Professor Oak's assistant didn't just make Ash losing Pokemon leagues in a streak, this also waste Tracey's character), Heroes tv Show(Hiro offered to become a villain are point of divergence as Arthur Petrelli stealing Hiro's powers was butterfly effect from this), etc

RE: official canons that bad enough to make you pretend it never happens
Posted: 19 Feb 2024, 09:58 PM

For me, it was finding out that Knuckles may actually like Rouge after all, and for two reasons; it kind of interferes with my headcanon, which does involve shipping on rare occasions which, although I'm not big on shipping in general, I got curious and thought he would have good chemistry with some of my characters, and I thought existing characters might work better for others, and since I try to be as close to canon as I possibly can, I have to rework my story to accommodate that which may or may not fail; another reason being that I'm not to fond of the idea of Knux getting with a character that's essentially been grooming him since the 2000s, and it looks like it worked. That's probably why the fans were sus about the official ages allegedly being removed, and doing so didn't change the fact that characters like Tails and Cream for example are still clearly kids.

Posted: 19 Feb 2024, 10:33 PM

DISREGARD TWILIGHT

DISCOVER LUMINOSITY

tl;dr hobby writer turns Wuthering Heights and Wampires into a brand-new story about Bella trying to dismantle the Volturi. It's basically the supernatural-romance counterpart to Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality: Manages to hit all the original plot points but completely transforms the narrative and drastically tightens up the prose (the entire arc of the original books is condensed into a single volume); the dead-end romance plot with Jacob is excised entirely in favour of his sister acting as Bella's confidante, and it ends on one hell of a cliffhanger that sets up its own sequel from the point of view of her daughter. The only letdown is it retains the "imprinting" plot device, but by then she's (mostly) aged up and lampshades how creepy it is (in what may be a strategic jab at Meyer).

Like, I don't read romance and I basically cleared my slate for this. Ironically I can't recall how I found it. The fact Fifty Shades got a —ing movie franchise yet this languishes in obscurity goes to show there's no justice in the world. :/

Shadane:
That's probably why the fans were sus about the official ages allegedly being removed, and doing so didn't change the fact that characters like Tails and Cream for example are still clearly kids.

Posted: 20 Feb 2024, 08:53 PM
Thorvald:
# DISREGARD *TWILIGHT*

# [DISCOVER *LUMINOSITY*](https://luminous.elcenia.com/)

tl;dr hobby writer turns *Wuthering Heights and Wampires* into a brand-new story about Bella trying to dismantle the Volturi. It's basically the supernatural-romance counterpart to *Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality*: Manages to hit all the original plot points but completely transforms the narrative and **drastically** tightens up the prose (the entire arc of the original books is condensed into a single volume); the dead-end romance plot with Jacob is excised entirely in favour of his sister acting as Bella's confidante, and it ends on one hell of a cliffhanger that sets up its own sequel from the point of view of her daughter. The only letdown is it retains the "imprinting" plot device, but by then she's (mostly) aged up and lampshades how creepy it is (in what may be a strategic jab at Meyer).

Like, I don't read romance and I basically cleared my slate for this. Ironically I can't recall how I found it. The fact *Fifty Shades* got a —ing movie franchise yet this languishes in obscurity goes to show there's no justice in the world. :/

Shadane:
That's probably why the fans were sus about the official ages allegedly being removed, and doing so didn't change the fact that characters like Tails and Cream for example are still clearly kids.

I was pretty shocked too. Thankfully those two don't appear to be involved with characters like Rouge, but Sonic X did unfortunately have Rouge kiss Tails on the cheek, and he reacted like a drone attracted to a queen bee's pheromones, but that obviously wasn't Sega's fault, it was the company that made the show.

Posted: 20 Feb 2024, 10:58 PM

I thought of Pokémon when I read the thread title, but you said exactly what I would've said about that. Orange Islands was the pinnacle of the anime for me.

Another one that comes to mind is Power Rangers (some fandoms just stick to you once you're a part of them). There's an episode at the end of the Dino Charge season where the Power Rangers accidentally cause the Earth to be swallowed by a black hole. They solve this by pulling a move out of Infinity Wars and going back in time to fix it. On top of that, they then return to find they created a modern day where humans and dinosaurs peacefully coexist. I like the particular style of story in the show, but it got me thinking "do you really need to go down this particular slippery slope" (to those who might call me hypocritical, no, Doctor Strange's vision of victory only being achievable by time travel doesn't sound right either).

There's also Doctor Who. Anyone who has seen the new seasons of that will immediately know what I'm thinking of. Doctor Who competes with Power Rangers on a cultural level and it's to the point where what used to be me entertaining them as equals is not the case anymore, Power Rangers is explicitly more entertaining (and even does minority representation better when they do actually tackle such issues).

Posted: 22 Feb 2024, 12:36 AM

More example of Fanon discontinuity for me: MCU(with Post-infinity Saga MCU being non-canon for even me not only MCU following Avengers endgame become increasingly Earth-616-like, the whole reason Black Widow's solo movie is canon, despite being phase 4 was: it takes place before Avengers endgame)

Posted: 27 Feb 2024, 12:39 AM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 27 Feb 2024, 12:46 AM.

Gex 3... in whole it is a meh game, but the worst is, the added characters and cutscenes. The experience was like, meeting with a good buddy you haven't seen for long. Only to bring his slutty annoying girlfriend. They keep ignoring you, and the whole time they keep schmoozing and saying lewd things to each other, and you're like "Hey, I don't need to hear this, keep it to yourselves!". I have nothing against damsel in distress stories, but Agent X can just shut up and fk off. (I guess they wanted to get every opportunity to show off that they got a live actress to act badly, but why in a game with a cartoon gecko?)

I guess now I have to explain why I like Gex in the first place.
First discovered the second game in the series called Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko, spontaneously. Got into this new game, started a level, Gex materialized in the playfield out of poligons (it's a teleport effect, do not mean a graphics glitch). Then I wanted to take control, but suddenly Gex looked back and said something silly. And I was like "What? Ya bastard haha!". I was not used to a videogame character talking for seemingly no reason at random times (yeah, Duke Nukem 3D did it earlier, but at that time I didn't have a sound card). Did I just got adopted a Digimon partner or something? It was cool. This was the only game where it didn't feel like the playable character is just an avatar for me. It was like playing with a friend, it's WE are doing it, getting the evil rid of this digital world... or something. There was some paper thin plot implied in the intro video, but it was easily ignorable. A hyperactive little gecko, with an ego on level with Duke Nukem, it was endlessly funny to me, in an ironic and endearing way. (But only with the original American voice, the British dub is lame. While most people prefer the British one because it's "less annoying", I say that old man's voice doesn't fit an energetic bouncy gecko at all.)

Posted: 29 Feb 2024, 08:57 PM
dustsucker2099:
at that time I didn't have a sound card

Ahh, back in the day when installing a game meant manually configuring your audio setup. B^)

Posted: 29 Feb 2024, 09:26 PM

The new Gundam SEED movie that came out recently in Japan. Saw the plot summary/reviews and it killed any curiosity I had about seeing it.

Posted: 02 Mar 2024, 12:30 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 02 Mar 2024, 12:31 AM.

am I the only one that considers Crysis 2-3 and Comics never canon to Crysisverse(cuz of crysis Nanosuit's retconning into bootleg symbiote as well Nomad's death)?

Posted: 07 Mar 2024, 01:41 AM

Boruto does not exist, you cannot convince me otherwise. As far as I am concerned, Shippuden ends after the Pain arc.

Posted: 09 Apr 2024, 01:28 AM

Digimon Adventure sequels following Our War Game doesn't follow official canon(cuz official canon of Digimon 02 and it's sequels are closest thing any other anime got similar treatment to modern anime of Pokemon that shoehorns Ash and Team Rocket trio)

so Digimon Adventure 02 can follows Alternate timeline instead

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-12 of 12