Page 5 of 8 :: Viewing 101-125 of 192
Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... - Started by: BadKarma
RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation...
Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 04:10 AM
VerseOfDreams:
Do you want to hear about ideas I may have in mind?

Is it the one you were talking about about websites buying websites?
(we appreciate all ideas but are looking for ones more related to on-site implementations)

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 04:44 AM

Why not a ping when a notification is shown on someone's profile?

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 06:29 AM
VerseOfDreams:

^ I 100% agree

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 06:37 AM

Or a in-house chatroom? Or a streaming service? Or a upload videos feature?

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 06:46 AM

Want want want.

But you have to gather wood for a fire.

Everything has a cost.

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 11:51 AM
VerseOfDreams:

Interesting idea. Will have to think on this.
-- BK

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 11:53 AM
VerseOfDreams:
Or a in-house chatroom? Or a streaming service? Or a upload videos feature?

Side 7 makes use of Discord as its chatroom. Much easier to maintain, and more secure.

As for streaming services, what do you envision Side 7 would be streaming? :)

And eventually, there will be a video upload feature. There's a lot of tech to consider in that feature, though.
-- BK

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 02:25 PM
FunkyGoodVibes:
Does Side7 have a mascot?
If not, a mascot contest can be fun for the community. And the community can vote for the winner!
Plus, there can be things like custom emojis on the site and Discord. Like DA, Inkblot and other sites have.

Unacceptable.

For a site logo.

I propose we use a black and white, stylized likeness of BK's actual face.

Perhaps with crossed swords underneath.

As for a mascot... A fierce looking black cat, with seven heads, because Side7.

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 04:47 PM
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
I propose we use a black and white, stylized likeness of BK's actual face.

Perhaps with crossed swords underneath.

Pirate Saiyan flag would be pretty epic...

Quote:
As for a mascot... A fierce looking black cat, with seven heads, because Side7.

I mean, we are a third of the way there...

BadKarma:
And eventually, there will be a video upload feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jV0Lweif0

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 07:20 PM
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
Want want want.

But you have to gather wood for a fire.

Everything has a cost.

laughs in harnessable lightning strikes

FunkyGoodVibes:
Does Side7 have a mascot?
If not, a mascot contest can be fun for the community. And the community can vote for the winner!
Plus, there can be things like custom emojis on the site and Discord. Like DA, Inkblot and other sites have.

"Long ago, there lived a royal family living in Sideland. These were the kind Sides, and there were seven of them. Two parents and five siblings. Wei Side was the father, his duties had to do with the forums. Bea Side was the mum, her duties were keeping track of the Oekaki. And the siblings presided over aspects of Sideland not yet specified, their names were Silver Side, Furano Side, Kirby (or just Kirb) Side, Hillary (or just Hill) Side, and River Side. They were... the Side Seven!" epic explosion in the background

Posted: 06 Aug 2023, 03:29 AM

I must say.

If my demands are not met.

I WILL take the current Side7 mascot hostage.

Posted: 06 Aug 2023, 05:51 PM

I just realised you can fave/follow yourself on Side7.
I quite like S7's current logo as it's sleek and fits well though a mascot would be fun.
Streaming by server does sound heavy and costly at this stage as per MVP and budget.
But you could implement a WebRTC based "art streaming" listing I guess?

Also someone wouldn't participate here because they don't understand how to follow people from their profile?
Someone also mentioned they don't know how to browse mature/adult art.

So could may be focus more on what deters people than just enticing features in general.

Posted: 06 Aug 2023, 06:30 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 06 Aug 2023, 06:30 PM.

Taking somebody hostage is more likely a crime, Wizard-of-Zaar.

Posted: 06 Aug 2023, 07:27 PM
Inafox:
Also someone wouldn't participate here because they don't understand how to follow people from their profile?

There probably should be a 'Follow" button on the profile banner, ahead of 'Friend'. So far it's only linked on submissions themselves, and I remember it threw me when I first joined. I've gotten a few friend requests from strangers who may not know there's a difference.

Quote:
So could may be focus more on what deters people than just enticing features in general.

I do know the one decline I received that did go into detail cited "the ridiculous amount of gender options and post limit". The latter is firmly site prerogative, but the former is what we term a "You Problem". :x

Posted: 06 Aug 2023, 08:39 PM

Male, female and other: custom should do. Since most identify as male/female, having many options for genders is both a speed-bump to those who are trans/cis and misfortune for those who look at the long list to then find their identity isn't there.

Posted: 06 Aug 2023, 10:30 PM
Inafox:
Male, female and other: custom should do. Since most identify as male/female, having many options for genders is both a speed-bump to those who are trans/cis and misfortune for those who look at the long list to then find their identity isn't there.

I went for the list because of the potential for abuse and disrespect that I've seen happen on other sites with custom, open-text gender identity fields. It would be a potential mess to police that kind of abuse, and to have to deal with people's arguing over what is abuse and what isn't. As to missing identities, I ask for input if someone feels their identity is missing.

-- BK

Posted: 07 Aug 2023, 02:38 PM

Another thing I was thinking about that I noticed no one else mention: Gifts.
I was just thinking about how often deviantart users gave each other things like llamas and cake, and how often they would interact with each other because they just wanted to say thanks. It's small and free, and I think could increase participation somewhat. (Plus it's cute)

Posted: 07 Aug 2023, 04:46 PM

I like the concept. But, I don't understand how it worked in practice. Can you describe it to me?
-- BK

Posted: 07 Aug 2023, 05:16 PM
BadKarma:
I like the concept. But, I don't understand how it worked in practice. Can you describe it to me?
-- BK

Llamas are a profile badge originally introduced for April Fool's 2010 that users can freely award to each other. They're purely cosmetic, and their appearance upgrades at certain thresholds; they can also be customized with accessories purchased with the site's Points (in-house currency similar to S7 Credits). An internal marketplace developed with users soliciting llama badges for points directly, such that "llama trading" was later integrated into the user interface (until Eclipse gutted everything), Cake badges are similar, but require points to award and so are considered more 'prestigious'.

It may have been mentioned before, but site badges could make for an excellent Credits sink here.

Posted: 07 Aug 2023, 06:10 PM

Innnnnnteresting. Hmmmmmmm.

Posted: 08 Aug 2023, 03:21 AM

I'm surprised there are no favorites subfolders.

Posted: 08 Aug 2023, 08:50 AM
FunkyGoodVibes:
I was on DA for 11 years and I LOVE the llama badges! I think I had the Wizard llama before I left? (I can't remember what llama milestone that is)

I trying to get the Golden llama wich is 10,000 llamas given to people, I think?

If Side7 did something like that. I'd be all over it!

I also loved llamas, I got to the Runaway Llamas, and I ended up maxing out, with a grand total of 100,000 llama badges. Less than 20 people in DA history have achieved this.

Posted: 08 Aug 2023, 01:01 PM
Thorvald:
Llamas are a [profile badge](https://www.deviantartsupport.com/en/article/what-are-llama-badges) originally introduced for April Fool's 2010 that users can freely award to each other. They're purely cosmetic, and their appearance upgrades at certain thresholds; they can also be customized with accessories purchased with the site's Points (in-house currency similar to S7 Credits). An internal marketplace developed with users soliciting llama badges for points directly, such that "llama trading" was later integrated into the user interface (until Eclipse gutted everything), [Cake badges](https://www.deviantart.com/coolkaius/journal/Every-Fact-About-Cake-Badges-680700137) are similar, but require points to award and so are considered more 'prestigious'.

It may have been mentioned before, but site badges could make for an excellent Credits sink here.

Ah, thank you for explaining! I couldn't figure out how to word it coherently ajhdsa

Morothias:
I also loved llamas, I got to the Runaway Llamas, and I ended up maxing out, with a grand total of 100,000 llama badges. Less than 20 people in DA history have achieved this.

I always wanted the runaway llamas! I think I was at super llama, though. I wasn't super into collecting them -- which was probably why I never got that far lmao

Posted: 08 Aug 2023, 04:05 PM
chaseawaythedark:

That is a feature that is coming in a future update; it's on my to-do list.
-- BK

Posted: 08 Aug 2023, 05:03 PM
BadKarma:
chaseawaythedark:

That is a feature that is coming in a future update; it's on my to-do list.
-- BK

Ouh!

The camaraderie.

Page 5 of 8 :: Viewing 101-125 of 192