Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10
ELI5: Could someone explain the whole deal with the internet archive right now? - Started by: chaseawaythedark
ELI5: Could someone explain the whole deal with the internet archive right now?
Posted: 04 Jan 2024, 07:35 AM

I see it massively trending, something about lawsuits and media and stuff... every time I try to understand it, something just doesn't add up. We might come to that though with the help of a discussion here. What's going on?

RE: ELI5: Could someone explain the whole deal with the internet archive right now?
Posted: 04 Jan 2024, 09:04 AM
chaseawaythedark:
I see it massively trending, something about lawsuits and media and stuff... every time I try to understand it, something just doesn't add up. We might come to that though with the help of a discussion here. What's going on?

Big tech's killing of the internet(if lawsuit against deviantart scrapped away, but lawsuit against Archive.org did destroys even internet archive)

They will abuse copyright with hypocritical neural networks so people can't even write fanfics and draw fanarts, but AI can for even monetization

RE: ELI5: Could someone explain the whole deal with the internet archive right now?
Posted: 04 Jan 2024, 09:43 AM
This post has been edited 4 times. Last edit on 04 Jan 2024, 09:58 AM.

It's always Big Tech companies messing up stuff for everybody with their nonsense, I'll be so happy to use Freenet/etc for my personal website, after it's booted up with Git, I wish there's an alt internet that isn't run by greedy corporate scum rn.
(I seriously hate big tech so much rn...)
It's already bad enough that we're letting companies destroy everything just for a quick buck, alongside copyright nonsense happening to YouTube and many more issues online.

EDIT 1: Ok so I looked into this a little more from two articles and a comment section about this, so it's about copyright over books or something about being able to archive some books, but still, screw big companies sometimes man. Sorry, I got too upset there.

Posted: 05 Jan 2024, 04:57 PM
Masonicon:
chaseawaythedark:

Big tech's killing of the internet(if lawsuit against deviantart scrapped away, but lawsuit against Archive.org did destroys even internet archive)

They will abuse copyright with hypocritical neural networks so people can't even write fanfics and draw fanarts, but AI can for even monetization

Where is the line drawn?

Posted: 05 Jan 2024, 09:14 PM

At first, I thought this was about Archive.today, which I would understand why there would be a lawsuit against them with peoples' personal information being leaked to the public, and they refuse to take it down, no matter what.
As for Archive.org, they've been hitting the toilet since day 1 of this legal problem. There have been rumors about lost media being taken off the archives, which is a detriment to the Lost Media community, because that means, due to its rarity, it's essentially wiped off the face of the earth. There's also rom dumps for video games, comics, and films that are now out of print, with the companies that produced them never re-releasing them, meaning the only way to obtain them is through internet archival.
I'm kind of on both sides of the border, because I don't want to get doxxed a third time because of my private information being exposed through a who-is lookup without my consent, but I'm also planning to make a jinmenken movie at some point in the future, and I'd hate for that to get taken off the internet because someone parading as the owner of my IP decided to file a false copyright claim, and then my channel is deleted, similarly to what happened with Wolves of the Mist. It almost happened to me once because of friggin animation memes of all things.

Posted: 05 Jan 2024, 10:29 PM

Unless there's another dispute I'm not aware of, the current story is:

• June 2020: Four US publishers sue the Internet Archive, claiming its broadening of e-book lending as a response to library closures during pandemic lockdown constitutes breach of copyright that directly harmed revenue on 127 books. The Internet Archive and its supporting intervenors argue its activities fall under fair use provisions, and what's really at stake is preserving access to information beyond the commercial life cycle.
  • March 2023: New York Southern District Court rules against the Internet Archive.
  • September 2023: Internet Archive files a second circuit appeal.
  • December 2023: Internet Archive submits its opening brief.

And that's where we are now.

Posted: 24 Feb 2024, 02:02 PM
N0-11:
It's always Big Tech companies messing up stuff for everybody with their nonsense, I'll be so happy to use Freenet/etc for my personal website, after it's booted up with Git, I wish there's an alt internet that isn't run by greedy corporate scum rn.
(I seriously hate big tech so much rn...)
It's already bad enough that we're letting companies destroy everything just for a quick buck, alongside copyright nonsense happening to YouTube and many more issues online.

Can you list those online issues for me(notably related to youtube's copyright nonsense)

Posted: 25 Feb 2024, 02:59 AM

YouTube’s copyright system basically makes it where million dollar companies and randoms can easily just copyright strike a video just because of a fan animation or music, or some other bogus complicated reason, and the system being so busted as well.
It’s ridiculous as frick. I still hope people archive more content online, I sometimes wish I could time travel through my memories easily to find this one YouTube channel with the mspaint cross drawing as their pfp, sorry I’ll stay on topic now.

Posted: 25 Feb 2024, 11:16 AM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 25 Feb 2024, 11:27 AM.
N0-11:
YouTube’s copyright system basically makes it where million dollar companies and randoms can easily just copyright strike a video just because of a fan animation or music, or some other bogus complicated reason, and the system being so busted as well.
It’s ridiculous as frick. I still hope people archive more content online, I sometimes wish I could time travel through my memories easily to find this one YouTube channel with the mspaint cross drawing as their pfp, sorry I’ll stay on topic now.

Worse, that copyright system can let people got away with monetizing AI-generated stuff

Youtube copyright bots: you can make money with AI-generated films, but you can't post fan-animations even for anything but monetizations(even when former are clearly more of a copyright infringement than latter not only AI-generated works are frankensteined from pre-existing works. While latter are drawn from scratch(making this more of fair use than monetized AI-generated works), regardless of pre-existing IPs used there)

Posted: 26 Feb 2024, 06:17 AM

Reading some of the above, I guess I understand the whole legal issue presence. The confusing part comes from the reaction. Suppose this were conversationally noteworthy but then AI came up... if the issue is similar (complete with the encroached content aspect), why is the lense different? In a sense, it's like when it's the buzz, everyone is doing a 180 when it comes to that.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10