Page 14 of 15 :: Viewing 326-350 of 369
So DeviantArt is committing suicide... - Started by: Thorvald
RE: So DeviantArt is committing suicide...
Posted: 13 Jan 2024, 02:04 AM
Masonicon:
Shadane:
Masonicon:
Shadane:
Masonicon:
this is one of handful of threads in devinatart forums that we can stand(cuz it's about deviantart's deterioration): [https://www.deviantart.com/forum/community/complaints/2683989](https://www.deviantart.com/forum/community/complaints/2683989)

I didn't respond due to a few negative experiences I had that I won't discuss since it's long dead, but one thing I can agree on here is that most of these changes were either unnecessary such as removing birthday notifications, and deprecating custom HTML, or actively hinders use of the site, such as getting rid of categories and making tags optional rather than mandatory, which made it so we can't find what we're looking for anymore. I don't even think dA Muro exists anymore, because I can't find the option to use it when I visit my Sta.sh page, so it's safe to assume they removed that too. I still find it pretty ironic that the current owners of the site claimed to take feedback that would go towards improving the new layout, but they completely ignored all of it; what's even the point then?
Oh well, for most people, it was fun while it lasted, and for others like me who fell victim to cringe culture, it was a hell site like no other, and aside from the friends we made there that made it worth visiting, we don't really know why we stayed. I think it's time to move on, I'm still waiting on SheezyArt to relaunch, and I've been patient ever since it was announced.

Deviantart Muro still exists: [https://www.deviantart.com/muro/](https://www.deviantart.com/muro/) even when I stopped using it for my treatment of dAMuro as MSpaint

my gripe with SheezyArt's Revival lies on it's dev have beef with me, so I stick with Artspacious more than Sheezy.art, other than Artspacious devs usually only works on their site when they're not busy from IRL jobs

Well, I couldn't find it, so I just presumed it deceased or something. I did hear from a friend of mine who agreed to update me on the site's development that the Artspacious team is planning to continue development without the head of their project though, considering they're too busy with personal life to help out. But out of curiosity, what happened that led to the beef? I can understand if you don't want to discuss it, it's just something new that I haven't heard much about.

all that I can discuss when it comes to something that leads to Sheezy.art's dev have beef with me was: my shippings(at least some of them are demoted into just friends(at best) either from response of Sheezy.art's admin having beef with me)

Yeah, that makes sense. I can understand the site staff are human beings with their own personal biases, but as long as the ships aren't problematic or anything, it's better if they react in a neutral and professional manner with content they don't like. If there are any other upcoming art sites being launched, I'll probably share my stuff there for people who join those sites instead.

Posted: 13 Jan 2024, 02:06 AM
N0-11:
I've honestly been thinking of using Nightshade (aka Glaze) for my Deviantart gallery, but I don't know how to boot it up.
(I say this because the icon for Glaze only shows as a piece of paper on my new laptop, alongside other icons)
Maybe I'm missing something.

I wish I could help out with that, but since I primarily use Postybirb+ to mass-upload my art, I obviously don't know how to work Glaze either. If you can't get it up and running, there are probably other free alternatives out there; it could be a driver issue, or something benign that doesn't have a common fix.

Posted: 13 Jan 2024, 10:54 PM
Shadane:
N0-11:
I've honestly been thinking of using Nightshade (aka Glaze) for my Deviantart gallery, but I don't know how to boot it up.
(I say this because the icon for Glaze only shows as a piece of paper on my new laptop, alongside other icons)

I wish I could help out with that, but since I primarily use Postybirb+ to mass-upload my art, I obviously don't know how to work Glaze either. If you can't get it up and running, there are probably other free alternatives out there; it could be a driver issue, or something benign that doesn't have a common fix.

here's one of another Glaze's alternatives: https://github.com/mist-project/mist

Posted: 14 Jan 2024, 12:18 AM
Masonicon:
Shadane:
N0-11:

here's one of another Glaze's alternatives: [https://github.com/mist-project/mist](https://github.com/mist-project/mist)

Oh sweet, thank you! I’ll give this a try too.

Posted: 15 Jan 2024, 07:57 AM

it's been about a year since the Lawsuit against Deviantart(for it's AI art generator) started

Posted: 19 Jan 2024, 09:09 PM

This is an old thread now, but dA is still pretty active. I went back to it 4-5 months ago and have had steady community interaction, though groups made post-eclipse and the eclipse forum layout are something I loathe. I try to avoid those parts of the site.
The community driven factor is what led me to looking to other similar sites (opposed to using sites like twitter as an art platform) and is how I found it here.

Posted: 19 Jan 2024, 10:25 PM
This post has been edited 3 times. Last edit on 19 Jan 2024, 10:39 PM.
immortalitycat:
This is an old thread now, but dA is still pretty active. I went back to it 4-5 months ago and have had steady community interaction, though groups made post-eclipse and the eclipse forum layout are something I loathe. I try to avoid those parts of the site.
The community driven factor is what led me to looking to other similar sites (opposed to using sites like twitter as an art platform) and is how I found it here.

if all Groups are forced into Eclipse layout without user's consent(which's sooner or later will happens anyway), I rather salvage my mega-crossover project offsite further

I also tend to avoid forum parts of Deviantart for it's toxicity(even before it went eclipse)

and I hardly use sites like Twitter as my main art platform

also, I use this site cuz I'm either tired of waiting for Artspacious' site to goes online as well in response of Buzzly Drama

Posted: 19 Jan 2024, 11:16 PM
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:

if all Groups are forced into Eclipse layout without user's consent(which's sooner or later will happens anyway), I rather salvage my mega-crossover project offsite further

I also tend to avoid forum parts of Deviantart for it's toxicity(even before it went eclipse)

also, I use this site cuz I'm either tired of waiting for Artspacious' site to goes online as well in response of Buzzly Drama

With how dA staff is, I don't doubt eclipse layout will hit even the older groups eventually. It's nice that the old ones are preserved for now, but as I've been looking through groups over there to try to boost my work, so many are old with admins/founders long since abandoning the sites let alone the groups they ran, leaving many groups to be unusable for submissions with all folders either being perma-review folders, or anyone can submit folders that are long since full. But, it's nice that it's preserved for the time being.

I haven't used the forums much post-eclipse. I tried to use them when I made a new account last August-ish and it had the old layout, but was entirely broken. Dunno if that was just me or how it was, but it was kinda jarring. I'll probably use the forums there eventually moreso but the layout is definitely offputting. The toxicity idea isn't a factor for me; that's on literally every website that has frequent traction.

Twitter before Elon was my main platform because it's where I made the most $$ off of my work, but since it's re-brand it's been significantly harder for me to gain the same audience. I assume because I don't pay for twitter blue, or whatever. It's what mainly caused me to branch out and seek actually community for this kinda stuff again though, so I'm glad about that anyway.

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 12:28 AM
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:

With how dA staff is, I don't doubt eclipse layout will hit even the older groups eventually. It's nice that the old ones are preserved for now, but as I've been looking through groups over there to try to boost my work, so many are old with admins/founders long since abandoning the sites let alone the groups they ran, leaving many groups to be unusable for submissions with all folders either being perma-review folders, or anyone can submit folders that are long since full. But, it's nice that it's preserved for the time being.

I haven't used the forums much post-eclipse. I tried to use them when I made a new account last August-ish and it had the old layout, but was entirely broken. Dunno if that was just me or how it was, but it was kinda jarring. I'll probably use the forums there eventually moreso but the layout is definitely offputting. The toxicity idea isn't a factor for me; that's on literally every website that has frequent traction.

Twitter before Elon was my main platform because it's where I made the most $$ off of my work, but since it's re-brand it's been significantly harder for me to gain the same audience. I assume because I don't pay for twitter blue, or whatever. It's what mainly caused me to branch out and seek actually community for this kinda stuff again though, so I'm glad about that anyway.

Remember old Deviantart's critique feature?

I do, it's basically something for critiquing deviations, that in eclipse, got downgraded into regular comments due to Wix' limitations

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 12:31 AM
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:

I do, it's basically something for critiquing deviations, that in eclipse, got downgraded into regular comments due to Wix' limitations

I was actually thinking about that earlier! I do miss that feature.

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 02:13 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 20 Jan 2024, 02:14 AM.

this is one of Grave-robbing by Art thieves in Deviantart: https://www.deviantart.com/kaio621/art/Dance-pants-form-1002902548

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 02:19 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 20 Jan 2024, 02:20 AM.
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:

old-school Deviantart Message Networks? as well Muro(Personally, I give up using it for my treatment of it as MSpaint)

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 02:49 AM
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:

old-school Deviantart Message Networks? as well Muro(Personally, I give up using it for my treatment of it as MSpaint)

I never used the message networks, or really knew it was a thing. I was very conversationally shy when I first found the site though.
Muro still exists, I was fucking around with it the other day. You have to go to your stash to access it.

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 05:55 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 20 Jan 2024, 08:37 AM.
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:
Masonicon:
immortalitycat:

I never used the message networks, or really knew it was a thing. I was very conversationally shy when I first found the site though.
Muro still exists, I was fucking around with it the other day. You have to go to your stash to access it.

I used old deviantart's message networks once for either making chatroom dedicated to my mega-crossover project(at least before I use discord)

When I accessing DA message networks, only a handful of chatrooms remains

And legacy DAmn are better than eclipse's chat(not only eclipse's chat are more used by spambots and scam(bots), DA message networks can also accomodate lot of chatrooms)

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 04:50 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 20 Jan 2024, 04:50 PM.
Masonicon:
this is one of Grave-robbing by Art thieves in Deviantart: [https://www.deviantart.com/kaio621/art/Dance-pants-form-1002902548](https://www.deviantart.com/kaio621/art/Dance-pants-form-1002902548)

Art thieves are still bottom feeding weirdos, not shocking.
(I also saw a memorial page thing for the dead artist, rip Jerimin19.)
(I do miss the critique feature, hmm.)

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 09:04 PM
immortalitycat:
With how dA staff is, I don't doubt eclipse layout will hit even the older groups eventually.

They stated outright a full migration is the end goal. The most drastic consequence is the elimination of admin forums. I know I used it for our embassy.

As I'm wont to say whenever questions of preservation crop up, I've worked in archiving, and disregard of posterity is a huge peeve. Any time a site changes in a way that summarily destroys information, it stains its integrity.

Posted: 20 Jan 2024, 10:13 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 22 Jan 2024, 01:47 AM.
Thorvald:
immortalitycat:
With how dA staff is, I don't doubt eclipse layout will hit even the older groups eventually.

[They stated outright a full migration is the end goal.](https://www.deviantart.com/el-thorvaldo/journal/And-the-Library-keeps-burning-986018563) The most drastic consequence is the elimination of admin forums. I know **I** used it for our embassy.

As I'm wont to say whenever questions of preservation crop up, I've worked in archiving, and disregard of posterity is a huge peeve. Any time a site changes in a way that summarily destroys information, it stains its integrity.

Wix being too Shallow for Deviantart itself did come to play on inevitable eliminations of features like Groups' faves, admin forums, and so on upon Deviantart groups migration into Eclipse

Posted: 23 Jan 2024, 08:05 AM

https://www.deviantart.com/queenarpg/status-update/signal-boosting-that-it-is-991832667

Posted: 23 Jan 2024, 07:02 PM
Masonicon:
[https://www.deviantart.com/queenarpg/status-update/signal-boosting-that-it-is-991832667](https://www.deviantart.com/queenarpg/status-update/signal-boosting-that-it-is-991832667)

It's honestly for the better that I'm posting small stuff I want to keep for archiving for fun on here from now on.

Posted: 24 Jan 2024, 07:55 AM

https://www.deviantart.com/comments/1/899443569/4966338047

Posted: 25 Jan 2024, 04:04 AM
Masonicon:
[https://www.deviantart.com/comments/1/899443569/4966338047](https://www.deviantart.com/comments/1/899443569/4966338047)

I’m feeling more better that I saved all my art pieces onto my Harddrive, holy moly.
(I’m still archiving my older iPhone drawings from my Google photos.)

Posted: 25 Jan 2024, 10:22 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 15 Apr 2024, 10:16 PM.

deleted

Posted: 25 Jan 2024, 10:42 PM

I've resigned myself that unless/until we get mod tools to fork threads, this is the de facto dArama containment channel, but I would still greatly appreciate if posts could foster actual discussion, and not just vent every new (or old) gripe. By all means, Side 7 can learn from dA's mistakes, and lord knows I commiserate in private, but complaining here won't fix things over there, even if Staff was listening. A lot of people here were turned off by the impotent rage of the dA Forums, so let's not make an ersatz, eh? ;)

Posted: 26 Jan 2024, 09:52 PM

there's deviantart users that banned only to have their artworks(which often made with no monetary costs) fed into AI generators for making money

Posted: 27 Jan 2024, 01:56 PM
Thorvald:
I've [resigned myself](https://www.side7.com/forums/thread/654/12#7956) that unless/until we get mod tools to fork threads, this is the *de facto* dArama containment channel, but I would still greatly appreciate if posts could foster actual discussion, and not just vent every new (or old) gripe. By all means, Side 7 can learn from dA's mistakes, and lord knows **I** commiserate in private, but complaining here won't fix things over there, even if Staff *was* listening. A lot of people here were turned off by the impotent rage of the dA Forums, so let's not make an ersatz, eh? ;)

Sure thing, sorry about that.
(I’d love to make my own theme on my S7 profile, but I’ll have to mess around with inspect element for practice.)
I’m just hoping that most DA artists that are still active will be able to archive their art with jdownloader and in an external hard drive or a repo.

Page 14 of 15 :: Viewing 326-350 of 369